收起左侧

[英文] 《The Man From the Stars 》作者: - Robert Moore Williams【EPUB】

[复制链接]

管理员 - 管理勋章超级版主 - 超级版主版主勋章 - 版主勋章

灰铜v1_03紫银v2_02绿金v1_01灰金v1_05绿银v1_01绿铜v3_01灵晶土豪紫铜v1_04紫铜v3_01

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-4-24 08:02 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
THE MAN FROM THE STARS By ROBERT MOORE WILLIAMS Aided by a Mind-Reading Machine, Inventor James Egan Discovers a Strange Exile—and Is Whirled into Furious Conflict Against a Villainous Banker and Two Sinister Greed-Maddened Thugs! A FANTASTIC COMPLETE NOVELET CHAPTER I Visitor from Afar EGAN was not the first man to seek knowledge. The quest for truth is almost as ancient as the quest for food, but with Egan research had almost become a mania. The odd thing was that he remembered to eat at all, but on this particular evening, directly after dinner, he went to his laboratory. In the kitchen he could hear Anna, his huge Negro cook, sullenly banging things around as she cleaned up the pots and pans. Egan sat down in the laboratory and waited. He was no prophet, but he knew what was going to happen. He did not like the idea, yet so far as he could see there was nothing much he could do about it. He did not have long to wait until Anna came padding down the hall and knocked on his lab door. Egan got up and opened it. She stood there, a huge mountain of a woman, her face sullen. She wouldn't come in and she wouldn't look in, either, contriving to stare into space. "Mr. Egan, could I speak with you a minute?" Egan sighed. Good cooks were hard to find. "Yes, Anna," he said. "You're leaving. I know." She seemed surprised. "How did you know that?" Egan did not bother to answer that. "I don't suppose I could persuade you to stay, Anna? I'm paying you well and the work is light. You have only me to cook for, and the housework to do, which isn't much. Good jobs are hard to find, Anna." "I know they is, Mr. Egan," the cook said. Then she realized she was looking into the laboratory, which was something she preferred not to do, and hastily transferred her gaze back to the door. "I sho' would like to keep on working for you, but I got a cousin that's bad sick, and they's only me to take care of her. So I got to quit, Mr. Egan." Egan let her talk. She went into great detail about her relative, telling him the
插件设计:zasq.net

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|手机版|小黑屋| ( Q群816270601 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-15 14:23 , Processed in 2.193507 second(s), 54 queries .