收起左侧

[英文] 《The Return of William Proxmire》作者: - Larry Niven 【EPUB】

[复制链接]

管理员 - 管理勋章超级版主 - 超级版主版主勋章 - 版主勋章

灰铜v1_03紫银v2_02绿金v1_01灰金v1_05绿银v1_01绿铜v3_01灵晶土豪紫铜v1_04紫铜v3_01

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-6-5 07:58 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
The Return of William Proxmire Larry Niven Produced by calibre 0.6.40 The Return of William Proxmire Through the peephole in Andrew’s front door the man made a startling sight. He looked to be in his eighties. He was breathing hard and streaming sweat. He seemed slightly more real than most men: photogenic as hell, tall and lean, with stringy muscles and no potbelly, running shoes and a day pack and a blue windbreaker, and an open smile. The face was familiar, but from where? Andrew opened the front door but left the screen door locked. “Hello?” “Dr. Andrew Minsky?” “Yes.” Memory clicked. “William Proxmire, big as life.” The ex-senator smiled acknowledgment. “I’ve only just finished reading about you in the Tribune, Dr. Minsky. May I come in?” It had never been Andrew Minsky’s ambition to invite William Proxmire into his home. Still—”Sure. Come in, sit down, have some coffee. Or do your stretches.” Andrew was a runner himself when he could find the time. “Thank you.” Andrew left him on the rug with one knee pulled against his chest. From the kitchen he called, “I never in my life expected to meet you face to face. You must have seen the article on me and Tipler and Penrose?” “Yes. I’m prepared to learn that the media got it all wrong.” “I bet you are. Any politician would. Well, the Tribune implied that what we’ve got is a time machine. Of course we don’t. We’ve got a schematic based on a theory. Then again, it’s the new improved version. It doesn’t involve an infinitely long cylinder that you’d have to make out of neutronium—” “Good. What would it cost?” Andrew Minsky sighed. Had the politician even recognized the reference? He said, “Oh . . . hard to say.” He picked up two cups and the coffeepot and went back in. “Is that it? You came looking for a time machine?” The old man was sitting on the yellow rug with his legs spread wide apart and his fingers grasping his right foot. He released, folded his legs heel to heel, touched forehead to toes, held, then stood up with a sound like popcorn popping. He said, “Close enough. How much would it cost?” “Depends on what you’re after. If you—” “I can’t get you a grant if you can’t name a figure.” Andrew set his cup down very carefully. He said, “No, of course not.,, “I’m retired now, but people still owe me favors. I want a ride. One trip. What would it cost?” Andrew hadn’t had enough coffee yet. He didn’t feel fully awake. “I have to think Out loud a little. Okay? Mass isn’t a problem. You can go as far back as you like if . . . mmm. Let’s say under sixty years. Cost might be twelve, thirteen million if you could also get us access to the proton-antiproton accelerator at Washburn University, or maybe CERN in Switzerland. Otherwise we’d have to build that too. By the way, you’re not expecting to get younger, are you?” “I hadn’t thought about it.” “Good. The theory depends on manoeuvrings between event points. You don’t ever go backward. Where and when, Senator?” William Proxmire leaned forward with his hands clasped. “Picture this. A
插件设计:zasq.net

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|手机版|小黑屋| ( Q群816270601 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 18:33 , Processed in 1.226322 second(s), 54 queries .